Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Magnificents in LA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Magnificents in LA


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Magnificents in LA

    Actually I think the $1500 asking is reasonable for this set. It would be a shame to part these out.

    Altec Lansing A7-500 VOTT
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Magnificents in LA

    A7-500W's, i "think"................ are they also known as "Magnificents"?

    The A7-500W-II(what i've always believed to be the "Magnificent" version) has a curved wooden fretwork grill, and double thickness top/bottom/sides. It actually is a couple inches bigger in all dimensions than a typical 825/828, and has a base wider than the rest of the cabinet.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member DSauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    106
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Magnificents in LA

    The A7-500W-II(what i've always believed to be the "Magnificent" version) has a curved wooden fretwork grill, and double thickness top/bottom/sides. It actually is a couple inches bigger in all dimensions than a typical 825/828, and has a base wider than the rest of the cabinet.[/QUOTE]

    What you describe is what I have had since 1980. They also came very well braced & damped. The last ones made had the backboards cut with the Mod 19 Crossover template for all the later sized crossovers (N1201-8A, N501-8B, etc.).
    I have seen a couple of variations of what were called Magnificents. The one shown above is a first for me.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Magnificents in LA

    Am I seeing that right... those cabs are doubled & they are bigger than 825/828's?


    They do look pretty good.



    -chris

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member DSauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    106
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Magnificents in LA

    I believe the inner demensions to be spot on (WII's, anyway), the outer dems make them a couple inches larger because of the furniture base, top & sides. In good condition they really are beautiful pieces of furniture.

    I believe he said double "wall thickness", not double sized.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Magnificents in LA

    Magnificent pics: curved grille and wide base.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member DSauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    106
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Magnificents in LA

    Thank you! You beat me to it.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Magnificents in LA


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Magnificents in LA

    According to this guy there are Magnificent I and II, I had assumed these as I's. I may well be wrong.

    Yet Another Altec Page

    Magnificent I & II 416x, 803x, (416-8A or -16Z w/choice of impedance in later version) 802x + 511x, internal mt. A7-500W, with BIG furniture enclosure

    There also was a factory furniture version early 50's with the vertical port cab, the cab was extended upward to enclose the horn. I do not think those were called Magnificent. I have only ever seen one pair.

    The fellow is leaning on one sans grill in this pic...

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...-home/back.jpg
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Magnificents in LA

    The angled plinth is similar to other altec models. The interior shows extra bracing but otherwise looks right, even down to the plywood used. It could be an Altec or maybe a version put out by another company, e.g. Heath.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Magnificents in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    There also was a factory furniture version early 50's with the vertical port cab, the cab was extended upward to enclose the horn. I do not think those were called Magnificent. I have only ever seen one pair.

    The fellow is leaning on one sans grill in this pic...

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...-home/back.jpg
    Wasn't aware of a furniture grade early A7-8, but they did come with a HF horn baffle board to both properly brace it and create a ~seamless acoustical blend through the XO's BW (and why I recommend them for later A7-8 models also), so pretty sure this is what he's 'leaning' on. It's a little more clear in this picture: http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ome/page09.jpg

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.